There was a boy in Korea named Kim Jong Hee. Because of his name, he was being bullied in his childhood days. They called him “Jong-I! Jong-I!” which means paper, for his name sounded very similar to that word. Because of these experiences, he never wanted his own children to face the same kind of burden. So he decided to give names that are common and beautiful, not just by its sound but also with its meaning. He does not want to give names would cause a burden for the rest of their lives.
That boy, Kim Jong Hee, is my father and the name given to me is Kim So Hyun.
So Hyun is one of the common names in Korea but it has a beautiful meaning. The meanings of each word of a name are being based from the Chinese definition. “So” and “Hyun”, each of them are defined to be bright. Combining the two together would mean very bright.
Another reason why this name was given, it is because he wanted his baby girl to live a life of brightness and to seek the brightness of the Lord forever.
Just because this name is considered beautiful and common in Korea, it doesn’t mean that it wouldn’t be unique and weird in other countries.
Living here in the Philippines, I have been teased by my classmates, they would be calling me “soy sauce” and “soy”, but most of all they tease me because it sounded a lot like the Tagalog phrase “so yun!”. Up to now it’s still happening.
But just because they tease my name because it sounded weird to them, doesn’t mean that I hate it, I love my name and am proud of it just the way it is. Thank you father!
0 comments:
Post a Comment